Sunday 10 January 2016

Rough Cut - Miss Georgiou

Rough Cut


Audience feedback is important to a production because it allows the production company to make sure that what they are making or have made appeals to the audience and will allow them to make money from the potential viewers that will come to see it if they like it, but if the audience do not like what they see a give negative feedback, the production company can change what they have done and be able to produce something that the audience will like. It is essential to create and show a rough cut of the film in order to make sure that what you have been creating is liked by the audience and there is a point in continuing with the production, and that money and time is not wasted making a film that will not make a profit and so that you can change what you have already made before it becomes more complicated.

My Rough Cut URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlmKK5WUEQg

I received audience feedback from multiple ways from our target audience. I had a screening of my production that allowed my target audience to see more of what I had made, so that they could have more accurate feedback after seeing an actual version of my piece, rather than questionnaires. I had a focus group that I had ask me questions about my product in order for them to find out more about what I was making, and I was able to get feedback on the responses of the focus group. I produced a questionnaire that I could give to my target audiences that would help me to get an idea of what my target audience want to see in my thriller film, so by getting the results back from my target audience I would be able to see what they want to see that would help me to make sure that what I am including in my film is conventional and is what my target audience want to see. I also put my rough cut on YouTube in order to show it to a larger amount of people that would be able to comment on my piece and for me to be able to get a larger group of people to be able to see it, allowing for even more feedback for myself so I can see what improvements are needed for my rough cut to make an appealing final product.

This feedback benefits the production and the film industry because it allows my film and other films being made to determine if what they are making will generate profit from getting a large amount of viewers, but the only way they can determine if a film will make profit is if they make sure they get a lot of feedback from various stages in the production to make sure that what they make is worth it and will appeal to their target audience.

This comment on the YouTube copy of my piece comments positively on my narrative, describing it as 'easy to follow', meaning that I was successful in creating a narrative that would fit into the thriller genre and be entertaining for my audience to see, while also being able to enjoy the narrative without being too complicated to understand.

This viewer describes the rough cut as being very conventional, something that I was aiming to create for the audience. In reflection, this means that what i have made will interest the audience into seeing my film as it will be what they expect from a thriller film and they will be comfortable with what they are watching knowing it will be coherent and will not confuse them by containing elements from other genres.


This viewer says that the first half of my rough cut was good, and that the second half wasnt as good. In reflection, this means that I was successful in getting the right response form my audience, and that I am on the right track with some of the sequence, but now I need to adapt the rest of my sequence to fit into the the thriller genre and evoke feeling of shock, surprise and suspense.


As for the constructive criticism, this viewer said that I should add music to the end of my sequence where there is silence. I like this idea as the end of my sequence is silent, which leaves for the audience to rely on just what they see and not what they can hear to accompany the images and have no information about where the scene can go based on what sounds are heard.


This viewer comments that my sequence would be better if i had darker lighting in my sequence. I think this would be good, especially in the second half of my sequence where it is very light due to it being light outside while filming, in order to convey a darker presence and more a thriller atmosphere, as the audience would expect it to be dark and have less vibrant color to connote that something bad is happening and no good will be come to the victim.


This viewer says I should edit my silences so they are not too sudden and out of place to the audience. I will do this because I do not want the audio in my sequence to be poorly done, and so getting rid of the professional feel to the piece and making it seem cheap. I will also do this so it makes it easier for my audience to watch and does not take them away from being immersed in the piece, so they can feel like they are in the film instead of feeling like they are watching a film.

This feedback is valuable to me as a production company as it will allow me to produce a better final product and make sure it appeals to my target audience. By getting multiple reviews from different sources it allows me to get a wider idea of what my audience want to see, and so I can produce a better thriller piece to present as my final film. If I were to release this rough cut it may not get as much attention or be as liked as a final product where I have listened to the audience in order to make modifications based on what people want to see. By improving the piece I will be able to create a more likeable and enjoyable film that people will want to see and generate more revenue.

After receiving my feedback from the YouTube video, there are three points that I will address to improve the quality of my sequence. The first change I will make will be to edit the lighting of the second part of my sequence to make it darker and have a more thriller atmosphere. This will make my thriller more conventional as the audience will know that something bad will happen and be kept in suspense from the get-go. I will do this by changing the exposure of the clip on final cut so that the clip is darker and possibly change the saturation of the clip so that there are less vibrant colours. The second thing I will improve will be the sounds at the end of the sequence, from the stabbing of the victim onward. The sequence ends in silence, so I think I may add more sound at the end to try to add more effects for the audience to feel, although I thought the silence at the end of the sequence, if my audience want to see sound at the end as they think they will like it better I can try and see what it would end up like. I could change it by adding eerie background music or some spooky sounds that would fit into the genre and connote that there is something mentally wrong with the killer. The last point I think I change upon was the silent moments throughout the piece that didn't seem to fit. I could change this because I think that it would look and sound bad if the audio doesn't work well in the piece and will cause the audience to notice the poorly done audio and distract them from what they are watching, to change this I will need to edit the audio clips so that they fade into and out from the sequence in a way that is natural and fits into the progression of the clip.


The image on the right is a scene I picked out where the location is lit very brightly for a thriller film and would throw the audience off from what they are seeing and instead distracting them with a very vibrantly lit location.






The second image on the right is the end scene of the sequence where the killer is going to leave the crime scene, the scene is in complete silence, where it could be improved by the sounds of disturbing noises or diegetic sounds that would be going on outside  house.




The third image on the right shows a ppart of the sequence where this is complete silence, not even any on-screen sound. This looks quite awkward as the audience are left watching the victim do something that has no sound, drawing them away from the film with nothing to think about it, forcing them to watch nothing going on.

2 comments:

  1. This post demonstrates a sound analysis of what a rough cut is and the benefits that it has to a production. You have explained the comments and you received and the changes that you would like to implement within your work, but you need to ensure that you have related these points back to the film industry, to demonstrate further understanding.

    Aim-
    1) Reflect on the comments that you received in further detail, by considering the role of the film industry
    2) Watch SPAG

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post now demonstrates a good understanding of what a rough cut is and the benefits that it has to a production. You have reflected on the comments further and have considered the role of the industry.

    ReplyDelete